Tuesday, November 8, 2022

 

Today’s Totally Random Line(s)

  

Ay, but the feet were lame, and could not bear themselves without the verse, and therefore stood lamely in the verse.

 -Rosalind

 As You Like It                         Act III, Scene ii, Line 172

 

This section of the scene began with Celia coming in reading from a piece of paper that she found on a tree. The poem she's reading is twenty-eight lines long; more lines than I feel like typing or than you feel like reading. It appears, though, that they’re talking here about feet in a line of poetry. Take a look at the lines preceding.

         Cel-        Didst thou hear these verses?

Ros-         O, yes, I heard them all, and more too; for some of them had in them more feet than the verses would bear.

Cel-         That’s no matter: the feet might bear the verses.

Ros-         Ay, but the feet were lame, and could not bear themselves without the verse, and therefore stood lamely in the verse.


Got any thoughts on the discussion of the feet in the verse?

Now I’m not quite sure that you can weigh in on what they’re saying without looking at the verses that they’re talking about. Did you want me to type out the twenty-eight lines?

I didn’t think so.


Not sure you can see it., but I'm wearing the cyber-boot here because I had a lame foot. Well, it was actually the ankle. But you get the idea.


No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines     Who chooseth me shall get as much as he deserves.   Prince of Morocco The Merchant of Venice     ...