Thursday, November 3, 2022

 


I’ll bear him no more sticks, I’ll follow thee,

Thou wondrous man.

 

-Caliban

The Tempest                            Act II, Scene ii, Line 169


Caliban has just met Trinculo and Stefano. He’s feeling the effects of some liquor that he’s just drank, the first that he has ever tasted, and he’s decided that he'll bear no more sticks for Prospero. He has chosen the wondrous man Stefano as his new master.



This, of course, is a page from The Rarer Action, our retelling of the The Tempest. Every time I pull this book out and look at it I'm greatly pleased with how well it came out, and quite displeased with how poorly we worked at selling it. Perhaps I need to follow a new master if I want to get anywhere with the second book? On the other hand, how well did following a new master work out for Caliban? No, really: how well did it work out? It's a fair question. Think about it. 

No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines     Who chooseth me shall get as much as he deserves.   Prince of Morocco The Merchant of Venice     ...