Friday, November 4, 2022

 


I cannot help it now,

Unless, by using means, I lame the foot

Of our design.


-Tullus Aufidius

Coriolanus                      Act IV, Scene vii, Line 6


This is the short scene where Tullus Aufidius and one of his lieutenants are discussing the fact that Coriolanus is doing a really good job of leading the Volscians in battle; maybe a little too good. The lieutenant has remarked that

  Your soldiers use him as the grace ‘fore meat,

  Their talk at table, and their thanks at end.

And that’s what Tullus is referencing in Today’s Totally Random Line.

BTW, I’ve blogged on the Your soldiers use him lines earlier. If you want, you can see that post here

Totally Random Daily Shakespeare

Meantime, let’s just say that lame the foot of our design is a good phrase. And, as I’ve noted regarding previous lines, one that we can easily adopt. 

        Well sure Hank, I could easily trash my opponent in tomorrow night’s debate, but if we’re trying to run on a platform of a kinder, gentler campaign, wouldn’t that just lame the foot of our design?

There, how about that?


And, here's a pic of...wait a minute, that's not a foot! Well, there are some feet of the legs of the table. Maybe? 
Anyway, earlier this morning I was noticing the way the early sun was highlighting some of the wood in the kitchen table and chairs, and I thought it was somewhat striking, so I took a picture of it. Then, just now I took a picture of my foot for this post. Trust me, this is a much nicer picture. And if my goal is to get readers for this blog, posting that pic of my foot would just lame the foot of my design.
Oooh, good one!



No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines   Nay; good my fellows, do not please sharp fate To grace it with your sorrows.   Antony Antony a...