Friday, November 25, 2022

 

Today’s Totally Random Line(s)

 

One way I like this well;

 

-Goneril

 King        Lear       Act IV, Scene ii, Line 84

 

Goneril [aside]

One way I like this well;

But being widow and my Gloster with her,

May all the building in my fancy pluck

Upon my hateful life: another way

The news is not so tart. –I’ll read and answer.    

                                                        [Exits]

 

Goneril has just learned that Gloster had his eyes gouged out by her sister and her sister’s husband, Cornwall, but that Cornwall has been killed in the process. This is what she’s saying to herself:

On the one hand this may be good news, but now my sister is a widow and she’s going to be alone with Edmund. This could ruin my plans. On the other hand, this news is not bad.

She’s a schemer, and she wants Edmund for herself. I'm not sure exactly what she's thinking is the good news here, but she’s definitely hatching some plan. And you can bet she's up to no good.

Two Cordelias: No Goneril. No Regan.
One way I like this well. Actually, I don't see a downside, so no matter which way I look at it, I like this well. 


No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines   Who? Sylvia?   Thurio Two Gentlemen of Verona      Act IV, Scene ii,   Line 23   “Who’s Sylvi...