Tuesday, January 17, 2023

 

Today’s Totally Random Line(s)

 

It is my only suit;

Provided that you weed your better judgements

Of all opinion that grows rank in them

That I am wise.

  

-Jaques

As You Like It                Act II, Scene vii, Line 45

 

What is his only suit? And with suit we have a double entendre. He’s asking for a coat. So, he is effectively suing for a suit. Suit, suit. Will loves his wordplay in the comedies.

Anyway, Jaques is talking about a fool that he just met (in fact I posted about this part of the scene, and you can read that here if you want), and now he’s saying that he wants to be a fool. That’s his suit, I am ambitious for a motley coat. And when Duke Senior says he shall have one, Jaques gives us today’s totally random line.

So Jaques will get his wish and he can be the fool. Of course, you realize that in Will’s plays the fool is the smartest and gets to say whatever he wants to whomever he wants to say it to. Jaques knows this and that’s probably why he wants to be the fool. Yeah, come to think of it, the fool is not a bad gig, is it? So, as I mentioned briefly yesterday, I just got back from a cruise and it was aboard a really big ship, a very crowded ship; Over 4,000 passengers. Oi! Good thing we were in the Haven! But now I’m home and sitting in my living room drinking coffee. And my biggest problem of the moment is that the sun is about to rise and get in my eyes, so that I might have to switch chairs. What a problem!!

Yes, my life is good, and I am very aware of this. I may forget this at times, but not I am very blessed. So I don’t have Jaques desire to be anything other that what I am. I’ll just keep being Pete, which probably means being a little bit of a fool anyway. But it’s a good gig. Even on bad days, it’s still a good gig. I may forget this at times, but in my saner moments I’m very much aware of it. It’s a really good gig.


Yup, that's the sun coming up behind that big old maple tree. This sunrise is not quite as picturesque as the Caribbean sunset in yesterday's post, but I like it. 


No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...