Tuesday, January 3, 2023

 Today’s Totally Random Line(s)


 

When most I wink, then do mine eyes best see,

For all the day they view things unrespected;

But when I sleep, in dreams they look on thee,

And, darkly bright, are bright in dark directed.

Then thou, whose shadow shadows doth make bright,

How would thy shadow’s form form happy show

To the clear day with thy much clearer light,

When to unseeing eyes thy shade shines so?

How would, I say, mine eyes be blessed made

By looking on thee in the living day,

When in dead night thy fair imperfect shade

Through heavy sleep on sightless eyes doth stay!

All days are nights to see till I see thee,

And nights bright days when dreams do show thee me.

 

Sonnet 43

 

Okay, there you go. As usual, I’m giving you the whole sonnet, even though the Today’s Totally Random Line is the last one, And nights bright days when dreams do show thee me. But I think you can handle the full fourteen lines.

I’m not sure how much I want to get into this today. It’s a pretty interesting sonnet and not very hard to understand, which is nice. And it’s got some good stuff to look at and analyze. The problem (the same problem I face a lot) is that there’s a bit too much there, and if I really want to get into it, it’ll take a bit of time. Unfortunately, I’ve got a lot of other stuff that needs to get done today, so I don’t have that time. Retirement in a few years? More time then? Or will there just be different stuff taking up my time. But isn’t it all my time? Right? My time to do with as I please? Right? Well, I’m not so sure about that.

Anyway, why don’t you take a good look at the sonnet (if you’ve got the time). It’s uses a lot of really interesting things. Like talking about shadowing and literally shadowing the word shadow with the word shadows, and shadowing the word form with the word form. And that’s just the start. There’s the constant use of apparent contradictions, like days are nights and nights (are) bright days. And of course, there’s more.

So, go ahead, take a look yourself. It’s worth the look. Trust me.

A nice bowl of oatmeal with bananas. Why am I giving you this pic? Because this is the breakfast I didn't have this morning. Why not? It's because I slept so poorly that when I got up this morning to have my coffee I fell asleep in my chair for an hour, making myself late, without time for breakfast.

So this is the tie-in between my spiel about time and Will's sonnet about sleep. Because I didn't get that good sleep last night (irrespective of what dreams I had), I was short on time this morning, and missed out on the breakfast pictured above.

So you see, it's all related. 

 







No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...