Sunday, September 20, 2026

 

Today’s Totally Random Lines

 

I’ll be at charges for a looking-glass;

And entertain a score or two of tailors

To study fashions to adorn my body:

Since I am crept in favor with myself,

I will maintain it with some little cost.

 

Duke of Gloster (Richard III)

King Richard the Third       Act I, Scene ii, Line 218

Richard (at this point he’s not the king yet, so he’s the Duke of Gloster) has just successfully wooed Lady Anne, whose husband Richard killed in the battle at Tewksbury. Yes, somehow or another he wins her over: Go figure. She then leaves, and Richard is left alone to congratulate himself on how clever he is.

He talks about the feat of getting her to agree to be his wife, and he then concludes that she must see him as something better than he sees himself. From the beginning of the play, he has referred to himself as misshapen and beggarly,

Nor made to court an amorous looking-glass;

but here he concludes that this will no longer be the case.

Upon my life, she finds, although I cannot,

Myself to be a marvelous proper man.

I’ll be at charges for a looking-glass;

And entertain …

That’s right, he decides that he’s as good, and as good looking, as the next guy; if not better. I suppose winning the heart of a woman can do that to a guy?



Of course not, Mojo. Why on earth would I, or anyone else, ever refer to you as 'misshapen or beggarly'? For goodness sakes, you are as fine a looking specimen as ever walked on two, or four, feet; furry though those feet are. 

And yes, that shaved-shins look is fabulous. It almost looks like you're wearing capris; very European indeed! 
You didn't use my razor, did you?

No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines   I’ll be at charges for a looking-glass; And entertain a score or two of tailors To study fashions t...