Today’s Totally Random
Lines
Straight
satisfy yourself:
If she be in her chamber or your house,
Let loose on me the justice of the state
For thus deluding you.
Roderigo
Othello
Act I, Scene i, Line
141
Roderigo and Iago have woken up Brabantio in the middle of the night to tell him that his daughter, Desdemona, has run off with Othello. Brabantio has told them that they are liars, and Roderigo is telling him in Today’s Line to go see for himself if his daughter is at home. As you can see above, this is line 141 of the first scene in the play. Iago is wasting no time in getting around to making trouble for Othello.
A few lines earlier he said to Brabantio
I am one,
sir, that comes to tell you your daughter and the Moor (that’s Othello) are now making the
beast with two backs.
That’s an interesting turn of a phrase, making the beast with two backs. It’s one that’s not very much heard in this day and age. Perhaps it was a common expression in 1590; I don’t know. I do know that it’s something that no father is going to want to hear about his daughter.
Iago just loves to stir it up. Oh, how he loves it.

Hold on there...you didn't think we were gonna give you a picture of the beast with two backs, did you?
This blog is PG rated, Buddy.
No comments:
Post a Comment