Sunday, June 26, 2022

 


Go seek the traitor Gloster,

Pinion him like a thief, bring him before us.

 

-Duke of Cornwall

King Lear                             Act III Scene vii, Line 24


Pinion: To disable or restrain by binding the arms. That’s from MW online. You could kind of tell what it meant by the context, but I thought it would be good to give a proper definition. It’s not a word that’s in my vocabulary.

Alrightee then; I’ve just listened to the scene, and I must say that it’s really not the best thing to be listening to first thing Sunday morning. Yes, they do pinion Gloster like a thief, and then they gouge his eyes out. I don’t even like listening to it, let alone seeing it.


I think it's fair to say that we often take our eyes for granted. Without them we'd not be able to enjoy the simple pleasure of a backyard sunset.


No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...