Saturday, June 25, 2022

 


Please your highness, note

His dangerous conception in this point.

 

-Cardinal Wolsey

King Henry the Eighth           Act I Scene ii, Line 140

This is Wolsey talking to the king. Note: Wolsey is a complete weasel. They are discussing the Duke of Buckingham who is not present. Wolsey is convincing the king that Buckingham is a traitor. Again, Wolsey is a weasel, so I don’t know whether there’s any merit to the claims being made against Buckingham, but regardless, the Duke is doomed.

As I said, Wolsey is made out to be a real weasel in this play, but to be clear, I’m not sure what the true nature of his weaselhood was. We have to remember that Will was a dramatist so that all of his history plays, whilst certainly based on history, have a certain element of drama added to them. Hence, they make for good entertainment, which is what they were written for.


And where is our lovely lady standing today? Well that's Buckingham Palace, of course. I'm guessing that it's not named after the Duke of Buckingham in today's Totally Random line, but it shares his name nonetheless.
I like the big royal seals on the gate. Very impressive.


No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...