Thursday, June 23, 2022

 


You are amazed, my liege, at her exclaim:

Go in, and cheer the town: we’ll forth and fight;

Do deeds worth praise, and tell you them at night.

 

-Hector

Troilus and Cressida              Act V Scene iii, Line 91

Okay, here’s the deal. Hector is getting ready to go out and do battle with the Greeks. Everyone – his wife, his sister, his father, his mother – is trying to talk him out of it. They’ve all had bad dreams or premonitions that tell them Hector is going to die if he goes. Will he listen to them? Of course not: stubborn fool. Are they all justified in their pleas? Of course they are. Achilles is going to kill Hector and then famously drag his body around behind his chariot.

So, what’s the moral of the story? I’m not sure. Listen to your family’s advice? Don’t go fighting guys like Achilles? Don’t be stubborn and proud? I guess you can take your pick.

 

I don't have a pic of my wife and sister and mother and father all together. So this is a pic of the family I spend the most time with now: my son, my wife (aka Rafhiki) and...wait a minute, that guy's not part of my family. That's King, our guide. Well, anyway, I always listen to my family's advice. I may not always follow it, but I listen and consider. And what about King? I listened to him and did everything he told me. He was in charge, and he had the gun.


No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...