Friday, March 24, 2023

 

Today’s Totally Random Line(s)        

                              

I will talk further with you.


-Gentleman

King Lear                     Act III, Scene i, Line 43

 

Here’s an interesting exchange between Kent and a Gentleman he meets on the Heath. Kent is out looking for Lear, and he has a fairly long talk with this fellow who shall remain nameless. Kent tells him that something is afoot and that he, Kent, needs the fellow to go to Dover and tell Cordelia of Lear’s sorry state. Naturally, after receiving this assignment from a stranger (even though Kent says I know you to the guy twice, he never comes up with a name) this gentleman says I will talk further with you. In other words the fellow is saying, What’s this now?

But Kent doesn’t want to discuss it, and gives the guy a ring to show Cordelia, which will be proof that what he says is true. And that appears to be enough for the fellow.

Honestly, I have no remembrance of this scene at all, whether from my reading of the play (quite a few years ago) or my viewing of a few different versions of it (one with Ian McKellen and one with Antony Hopkins). But here it is, 72 lines and for the second day in a row involving a ‘Gentleman’. 

How ironic.


I have a really good remembrance of meeting someone whom I had not seen in about 25 years, and the fellow looking at me and saying slowly, I know you. He knew he had known me, but he wasn't able to figure out who I was until I told him how he knew me, and then he remembered. 

Unfortunately, I have no pic to go with this very relevant story. Boy, I wish I did. Oh well. 

 

2 comments:

Squeaks said...

Did that really happen to you or did you make that up?

Pete Blagys said...

Did not make that up.

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...