Friday, March 3, 2023

 

Today’s Totally Random Line(s)

                 

Let us, like merchants, show our foulest wares,

And think, perchance, they’ll sell; if not,

The lustre of the better yet to show,

Shall show the better.

 

-Ulysses

Troilus and Cressida                         Act I, Scene iii, Line 360


Obviously, Ulysses is not talking about wares, he’s talking about warriors. The Trojans have just issued a challenge for the best of the Greeks to face off against Hector, the Trojan champion. Ulysses is alone with Nestor, arguing that they shouldn’t send Achilles, their best champion, but rather one of their lesser warriors. Why? There are two reasons, he says. Achilles is already overly proud and if he beats Hector he’ll be that much more unbearable to live with. And if Achilles loses, well then the Greeks have lost their best man. It’s a lose, lose.

Does Achilles go to face Hector? If so, does he win or lose? Stay tuned to find out. Actually, staying tuned won’t help because, as you know, tomorrow I’ll most likely be in another play. Oh well, check the Will’s Works, Pete’s Posts section of this blog. Maybe there’s a post there about the fight and its outcome. Maybe not.

 

Okay, so what do you suppose this is a picture of? Well, I'll tell you. I was sitting in my chair this morning and I looked down at my hand and noticed that the sun was glinting off one of the hairs on my hand in an odd way. So I took a pic and blew it up. Yup, that bright vertical line is the sun shining on a hair on the back of my hand. 
Relevance? 
I'm going to say that it's an example of lustre. What do you think of that?

1 comment:

Squeaks said...

Well, I'm a bit annoyed that you left me on a cliffhanger.

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...