Tuesday, March 14, 2023

 

Today’s Totally Random Line(s)

               

I perceive, sir, by our general’s looks, we shall be fain to hang you.

 

-First Soldier

All’s Well That Ends Well        Act IV, Scene iii, Line 239


Pleased, willing, with pleasure: that’s fain according to the modern dictionary. Since my iphone is on the fritz (I’m afraid it may have bricked out) I can’t go to my app and see what it says is the 1600’s definition, but I’m pretty sure it’s along the same lines. No, wait; it’s obliged, forced, or compelled. That’s what my app says. The phone is okay after all. It was pilot error. Don’t ask.

Now here’s a random, ironic coincidence. I was just reading an interview with the CIA guy who spent months interrogating Saddam Hussein. He was asked how he felt about the final outcome of Saddam being hanged. The CIA guy said he had mixed feelings. On the one hand, justice was served. On the other hand, the guys who actually performed the execution were mocking Saddam and laughing at him, clearly happy to be hanging him. And the CIA guy felt this took away from the justice of it and made it appear to be more of a revenge killing.

So, those executioners were fain to hang Saddam, and by that I mean pleased, willing, and with pleasure, as opposed to obliged, forced or compelled.

What do you think of that?


Opinion: FBI agent says Saddam Hussein knew two things about him in seconds | CNN

I couldn't think of any good pic to go with this, so there's a link to the interview with the CIA guy, in case you're interested.

1 comment:

Squeaks said...

That's interesting about the CIA guy.

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...