Thursday, March 9, 2023

 

Today’s Totally Random Line(s)

                 

Why, fool?



-Kent

King Lear                       Act II, Scene iv, Line 65



Kent asks why Lear has so few men with him, Fool says that’s a stupid question, and Kent asks why, fool; why is that a stupid question?

Fool answers with one of his patently riddley speeches, ending with an eight-line poem. Rather than give you the ten-line speech, I’ll give you the poem: The sir which serves and seeks for gain,    And follows but for form, Will pack when it begins to rain,    And leave thee in the storm. But I will tarry; the fool will stay,    And let the wise man fly: The knave turns fool that runs away:    The fool no knave, perdy. I believe that last word, perdy, is pronounced such as it would rhyme with bird-eye, and it’s an archaic word meaning indeed or certainly. Wow, now that I read that poem it makes me realize that I need to take a look at the ten difficult lines that precede it. Ahh, but do I have the time. Do you have the time? Let me give it a quick re-read. Yup, as I thought, there’s a bit there to unpack. Yeah, I’m really fond of that unpack metaphor; almost as fond as I am unfond of the current use of the word hack. You won’t every hear me using that latter word to describe a better way to do something. Don’t ask me why; there’d probably be a lot to unpack there as well.

In any event, I think we’re going to leave the fool’s ten-line speech packed for now. Perhaps some other time we can revisit and unpack.


Patrice is currently in Cally visiting these two rascals. She is constantly on the move and has to do a lot of packing and unpacking; literally, not figuratively.


No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...