Friday, March 31, 2023

 

Today’s Totally Random Line(s)           

                                       

    I would not have my father

See me in talk with thee.

 

-Jessica 

The Merchant of Venice     Act III, Scene iii, Line 9

 

It’s a short scene, only seventeen lines with Jessica and Launcelot Gobbo. Jessica is leaving home to run away with Lorenzo, and Launcelot is leaving this same home to take a new job with Bassanio. They are both leaving Shylock, and they both paint him as a bit of a devil. But is that really fair?

I’ve said before that this is a complicated play, and that it presents and lot of things and characters as something that they are not. Is Shylock a bad guy? Is he bad because he’s a Jew? It’s easy to argue that this play would answer both those questions with yes. But does it really? Does the play really say that about him? I don’t think it’s nearly as simple as all that. In fact, I’m quite sure it’s not.

But I’ve got to check out of this room in forty-four minutes. I too am leaving (not Shylock’s house, but I am leaving), and forty-four minutes is not nearly enough time to properly get into a discussion of what this play says about Shylock. I think I would need about a week for that. .

How about you?

 

Not my usual environs.
Where in the world is Pete?

 

1 comment:

Squeaks said...

One of the few lines I understand without much explanation.

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...