Wednesday, March 8, 2023

 

Today’s Totally Random Line(s)

                 

The more degenerate and base art thou,

To make such means for her as thou hast done,

And leave her on such slight conditions.



-Duke

Two Gentlemen of Verona    Act V, Scene iv, Line 136


From what I can tell, he left her because she didn’t want him and wanted Valentine more. So how is that a slight condition, and how does that make him degenerate and base? I dunno, maybe I misunderstood it. I don’t know this play very well. I’ve only posted on it twelve times in the past six and a half years, and never on Act V. It’s not really high on my list of plays to see either.


The enclosed bridge in the background of this pic (taken in Manhattan this past weekend) made me think of the Bridge of Sighs in Venice. I've only seen pictures of that bridge, because I've never been to Venice. But Venice is very high on my list of places to see; much higher than Two Gentlemen of Verona.


No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...