Tuesday, September 19, 2023

 

Today’s Totally Random Lines

 

                        Behold this  man;

Commend unto his lips thy favoring hand:

Kiss it, my warrior: he hath fought to-day

As if a god, in hate of mankind, had

Destroy’d in such a shape.

 

Antony

Antony and Cleopatra                    Act IV, Scene viii, Line 25

 

It’s one of those odd days where, in totally random fashion, we have managed to move forward just a few scenes in the same play. Antony has won the battle that he thought he was going to lose in yesterday’s scene (don’t worry – he still loses the war). Now he’s reunited with Cleopatra. Here’s the first part of the little speech he’s giving to her.

My nightingale,

We have beat them to their beds. What, girl! Though gray Do something mingle with our younger brown, yet ha’we A brain that nourishes our nerves, and can Get goal for goal of youth. Behold this man…

I would have given you that in order, but I didn’t want to scare you away with too long of a Totally Random Daily Line.

Anyway, I like the beginning of his speech (the second part here) with the bit about gray mingling with the younger brown, a brain that nourishes our nerves and getting goal for goal of youth. In other words, (Pete’s version), ‘yeah, I’ve got a lot of gray hairs in there mixed with the brown, but I’m older and wiser too, I can keep myself steady and beat these young whippersnappers at their own game.’

Now, as far as the next section, the part that is Today’s Totally Random Lines: it sounds like Antony is asking Cleopatra to give him her hand so she can kiss it. But I can’t understand how the words ‘Kiss it, my warrior:’ can possibly be Antony’s. That’s got to be Cleopatra talking, n’est pas? The rest of those four and a half lines can be Antony talking in the third person, but not ‘Kiss it, my warrior:’

I looked at four different online versions of the text and none of them vary. I’ll have to look at my First Folio tonight. But even if that is the same, I’m going to posit that it’s a mistake made when printing the First Folio.

That’s my thought and I’m sticking with it.

Well, I was going to go into another little tidbit I found in this short scene, but I’ve gone on long enough, so I’ll save it for another day.


Another exhibit from my sticker book: 
a printing press, the likes of which would have been used to print the First Folio. 
Amazing Sticker Book.


 

 

1 comment:

Squeaks said...

"Antony is asking Cleopatra to give him her hand so she can kiss it" --> Is one of these the wrong pronoun? Give him her hand so she can kiss her own hand?

What a great sticker book!!

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...