Wednesday, September 20, 2023

 

Today’s Totally Random Lines


          

I would his troubles likewise were expired,

That so he might recover what is lost.

 

Edmund Mortimer

King Henry the Sixth, Part I         Act II, Scene v, Line 31

 

Need more coffee. Feel a little like old Edmund Mortimer right now. He starts this act, addressing his jailers, talking about himself and how old he is. Kind keepers of my weak decaying age, Let dying Mortimer here rest himself. And then he goes on for the next fourteen lines describing how decrepit he is: grey locks, the pursuivants of death…weak shoulders…pithless arms…etc, etc. Honestly though, manys a morning before I get properly caffienated I feel like old Edmund. This morning being one of those mornings. Pursuivant is listed in MW as archaic and meaning follower or attendant. Grey hair, the attendants of death. Fie on that!

Grey locks, the pursuivants of death?

Fie, fie, fie on that!




2 comments:

Squeaks said...

He sounds a little too fixated on the negative if you ask me!

Pete Blagys said...

He does. He's pretty old.

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...