Monday, September 11, 2023


Today’s Totally Random Lines



Have I not tarried?

 

Troilus

Troilus and Cressida      Act I, Scene i, Line 17

 

Yes, the very beginning of the play, seventeen lines in. Troilus is taking off his armor and telling Pandarus that he doesn’t have the heart for fighting. Pandarus knows that Troilus’s distraction is his unrequited love for Cressida and tells him,

He that will have a cake out of the wheat must needs tarry the grinding.

Tarry, if you didn’t know, means to wait for.

Have I not tarried? he replies.

Has he waited? And if so what has he done whilst waiting? I suppose if I wanted to know that, I’d have to read or listen to the whole play. But it’s Monday morning and I’m not retired yet, so I have to get to work, and I don’t have time for that right now.

And you could reply, 'yes, you can’t do that right now. He that will have a cake out of the wheat (or the time to listen to the whole play on a Monday morning) must needs tarry the grinding.'

I’ve been working for most of the last forty-five years. Have I not tarried?

Here's a guy who looks like he's waiting, or tarrying, for something. 
What's he waiting for? I think he's waiting to see where I'm gonna stick him.
(Great sticker book, eh?)



2 comments:

Squeaks said...

Oh an excellent sticker book!

Pete Blagys said...

Yes, it is an excellent book. A super investment.

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                          I have heard Your grace hath ta’en great pains to qualify His rigorous cours...