Friday, September 15, 2023

 

Today’s Totally Random Lines

 

If the great gods be just, they shall assist

The deeds of justest men.

 

Pompey

Antony and Cleopatra    Act II, Scene i, Line 1

 

Well that’s a big if, isn’t it. This also kind of flies right in the face of life’s not fair, kid (one of my favorite, non-Will lines).

 And, justest? C’mon now, that’s not even a word. I know that Will likes to make up words, but justest. He couldn’t just go with most just? Arguably that works even a little better with the iambic pentameter flow than justest.

Well now there I go again, trying to improve on Will. Silly me. Silly me.

 

Silly me.

2 comments:

Squeaks said...

I'm not sure about the flow of iambic pentameter (you misspelled in your post) but I actually think "justest men" flows better here than "most just men" would.

Pete Blagys said...

Agree to disagree.

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...