Friday, September 8, 2023

 

Today’s Totally Random Lines

  

O, pardon me, my liege! But for my tears,

[kneeling]

The moist impediments unto my speech,

I had forestall’d this dear and deep rebuke,

Ere you with grief had spoke, and I had heard

The course of it so far. 

 

Prince Henry

King Henry the Fourth Part II        Act IV, Scene iv, Line 269

 

Well we’ve been in this scene before. This is where Harry is sitting by his father’s deathbed. Thinking that the king was dead, Harry picks up the crown laying there, puts it on his own head, and walks out of the room. The king, obviously not dead yet, wakes up and thinks that his son wished him dead because he’s in a rush to get the crown for his own. He gives a long speech to this affect and today’s lines are the beginning of Harry’s explanation to his father. Pete’s version - Pardon me father. If I hadn’t been crying I would have stopped you sooner, before you’d spoken with grief, and before I’d heard all that you’ve said.

So what did the king say that Harry would’ve stopped him? What didn’t he say!

King Henry went on a rant about how Harry was rushing him into the grave to get his crown, and how the country was going to go down the crapper with Harry in charge. Speaking of England, he ends his rant with

O, thou wilt be a wilderness again,

Peopled with wolves, thy old inhabitants. 

Not showing a whole lot of confidence in his son, is he?



The Crown
(sticker #2)



1 comment:

Squeaks said...

I'm not really buying what Harry is selling. He could have shed his tears without plopping the crown on his head in a hurry.

Excellent sticker choice! I do wonder where you've chosen to place it!

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...