Saturday, March 23, 2024

 

Today’s Totally Random Lines

 

But come, I’ll tell thee all my whole device

When I am in my coach, which stays for us

At the park-gate; and therefore haste away,

For we must measure twenty miles to-day.

 

Portia

The Merchant of Venice      Act III, Scene iv, Line 82

 

Portia is talking to her right-hand lady, Nerissa. She’s talking about the fact that they need to get moving if they’re going to get to Venice in time, and the fact that she’s going to tell Nerissa the whole plan (my whole device) in the coach, on the way. Of course, the plan she’s alluding to is where Portia will show up at the trial disguised as Balthazar.

I’m trying to recall if there are any instances in Will’s plays where a guy gets dressed up as a lady (other than the male actors who play all the women’s roles). I can’t think of one, and yet the women getting dressed up as men happens time and time again. What’s up with that?

By the way, I hope you noted the rhyming couplet: haste away, miles today. You know what that means, don't you? That's right - the last lines of the scene. Very good!


Mojo thinks he's cleverly disguised as part of my fleece robe. I'm not so sure the disguise was working as well as Portia's did, but I didn't have the heart to tell him.


2 comments:

Squeaks said...

Maybe Shakespeare thinks that men would never deign to humiliate themselves by dressing up as women. Whereas women would be improving themselves to dress up like men.

Pete Blagys said...

Sure, let's go with that.

  Today’s Totally Random Lines     Who chooseth me shall get as much as he deserves.   Prince of Morocco The Merchant of Venice     ...