Saturday, March 2, 2024

 Today’s Totally Random Lines

  

               No, that were pity:

I would entreat you rather to put on

Your boldest suit of mirth, for we have friends

That purpose merriment. But fare ye well:

I have some business.


Bassanio

The Merchant of Venice          Act II, Scene ii,  Line 202

 

That purpose merriment; he has friends that purpose merriment.

First of all, have we ever seen purpose as a verb. I will make it my purpose. I have a purpose. But, I purpose? I dunno; sounds pretty Willish to me.

Second, to purpose merriment. They make it, or will make it, their purpose to have fun. That doesn’t sound all that bad, does it. 

Dracula here looks like he purposes merriment.


2 comments:

Squeaks said...

Oh he's always purposing merriment, to be sure.

Pete Blagys said...

Well that's a good thing.

  Today’s Totally Random Lines   Escalus,--   Duke Measure For Measure        Act I, Scene i,   Line 1 That’s right, it’s the f...