Tuesday, March 5, 2024

 

Today’s Totally Random Lines

 

Would I were in an ale house in London! I would give all my fame for a pot of ale and safety.


Boy

King Henry the Fifth       Act III, Scene ii,  Line 12


The scene is the British assault of Harfleur. I think the Brits win this one, and the boy speaking is a Brit, so he’s on the right side of the battle. He just doesn’t want to be in any battle.

Just imagine all the people, young and old, who are stuck in the middle of battles right now all over the world. I imagine most of them would prefer an ale house in London too.

The Brits on a whole, mankind on the whole, are a decent lot. I think if you took someone from Gaza, or a bombed out building in Eastern Ukraine, or from one of a couple dozen other places in the world, and magically transported them to a London ale house that the people in that ale house would take care of them.

I dunno, is that a crazy thought?

This is an ale that I had whilst traveling in January. It wasn't a London ale house, but the people there were generally nice. I suppose the Boy from today's scene would have been comfortable here. 


1 comment:

Squeaks said...

Interesting to add the ale to the need for safety.

  Today’s Totally Random Lines   Escalus,--   Duke Measure For Measure        Act I, Scene i,   Line 1 That’s right, it’s the f...