Tuesday, March 19, 2024

 

Today’s Totally Random Lines

 

Turn, slave, and fight.

 

Margarelon

Troilus and Cressida            Act V, Scene vii,  Line 13


I don’t believe I’ve ever run into this Margarelon guy before in my seven years of randomly picking lines from this book.

Today’s scene takes place on the plains where a battle is raging. Thersites has just been watching Menelaus and Paris fighting, and commenting on it. Those two fighters leave the scene and now Margarelon, one of the Trojans, comes up behind Theresites, a Greek, and offers Today’s Totally Random Line. Theresites turns around and responds, What art thou? Margarelon anwers, A bastard son of Priam’s, and Theresites has quite a reply to that.

I am a bastard too; I love bastards: I am a bastard begot, bastard instructed, bastard in mind, bastard in valour, in every thing illegitimate. One bear will not bite another, and wherefore should one bastard? Take heed, the quarrel’s most ominous to us: if the son of a whore fight for a whore, he tempts judgment: farewell bastard.

And with that he runs off with Margarelon chasing him, and yelling, The devil take thee coward!

And that’s the end of the scene. Not really too much to it, really. The scene is mostly made up of Theresites talking; first about Paris and Menelaus fighting, and then about bastards.

Any thoughts? I think what Theresites has to say is pretty funny; particularly the I love bastards part.

 

1 comment:

Squeaks said...

I think Theresites reply is my new favorite soliloquy (if you could call it that).

  Today’s Totally Random Lines   Escalus,--   Duke Measure For Measure        Act I, Scene i,   Line 1 That’s right, it’s the f...