Thursday, April 18, 2024

 

Today’s Totally Random Lines

 

Why, thou full dish of fool, Troy.

 

Thersites

Troilus and Cressida                      Act V, Scene i,  Line 9

 

So, we're at it again, Mojo and me, taking our morning foray into the world of Elizabethan drama.

“I don’t get it.”

“It’s pretty simple Mojo: Thersites is delivering a letter to Achilles who is hanging out with his buddy Patroclus. The latter asks Thersites where the letter is from, and Thersites answers that it’s from Troy, calling Patroclus a full dish of fool in the process.”

“So, he’s calling the guy a full dish of fool?” My little man looked up at me, obviously confused.

“Yes, you’ve got it.”

“A full dish of fool: that’s an insult?”

“Yes, obviously. Would you like me to call you a full dish of fool?”

“No, I’d like you to get me a full dish of food.”

“Okay, well now you’re changing the subject.”

“No I’m not. I’d like a full dish of food, please.”

“It’s hard to stay on topic with you.”

“I think we’re on the topic of a full dish of food. What’s so hard about that?”

“Okay.”

1. It didn't stay full very long.
2. Why do I feel like some little guy with a tail just made a full dish of fool out of me?

1 comment:

Squeaks said...

It does sound pretty insulting, now that you say it.

  Today’s Totally Random Lines     Who chooseth me shall get as much as he deserves.   Prince of Morocco The Merchant of Venice     ...