Friday, February 25, 2022

 

As I with sudden and extemporal speech

Purpose to answer what thou canst object.


-Bishop of Winchester


King Henry the Sixth Part I         
Act III, Scene i, Line 7

 

This is the very start of the scene and here’s the summary from my Shakespeare App (I think it’s just called the Shakespeare App) followed by three lines from the Biship.

At Parliament, Gloucester attempts to present a written list of complaints against Winchester, but the bishop grabs it and rips it up, telling Gloucester to speak it all directly…

        Do it without invention, suddenly;

                As I with sudden and extemporal speech

                Purpose to answer what thou canst object. 

There, that should give you context. I’m not exactly sure what we’re going to do with that context, but there it is nonetheless. 

Now, I’ve got to move on to some other things this morning, soooo, comments?



Shakespeare Pro on the App Store (apple.com)

I'll take the opportunity today to give a plug to the app I use pretty much on a daily basis. It's got a lot of features that anyone who does any amount of reading of Will's works will appreciate. According to this website it cost $10. I don't remember paying for it, but I've had it so long (years!) that I could have forgotten. Anyway, well worth $10 if that's what it is.


No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...