Wednesday, February 9, 2022

 


Thrice nobel Titus, spare my first-born son.

-Tamora

Titus Andronicus                   Act I, Scene i, Line 120


Nope, not gonna happen. And so it begins, and it begins (it would seem appropriately) with Titus. What would have happened if he had said, ‘well, okay, you’re right. There’s no need for bloodshed here. Let the boy go.’ I suppose if he had said that, then this wouldn’t have been much of a play. Instead he says, ‘…die he must,’.  So die he does, and it’s the first of many deaths and maimings in the play.

This play was made into a movie in 1999 with Anthony Hopkins in the titular role. I’ve seen a few segments of it, but never the whole thing. It’s one of those that I’ve been meaning to catch. If you get a chance to see it you’ll have to let me know what you think.

 

titus movie - Bing video

 

Here’s a link to the movie trailer, if you’re interested.

 

2 comments:

Squeaks said...

Firstly, spoiler alert! Dang!
Secondly, did you notice they say the quote in the trailer?? What are the odds!

Pete Blagys said...

I did not notice that. Wow!

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...