Thursday, February 24, 2022

 


We still have known thee for a holy man.--

-Prince Escalus


Romeo and Juliet                  
Act V, Scene iii, Line 269

 

We are only a few lines from the end of the play. We're in the tomb with the dead bodies, and Friar Laurence has just finished telling the assembled group the whole story of what’s taken place, pretty much a recap of the whole play. And today's line is the Prince’s response.

I would equate this to my own standard response when I’m presented with something that I don’t really know what to say. In those cases I usually say, “okay”, which is my way of saying that I’m not agreeing or disagreeing or even necessarily understanding. I’m just responding.

If I had just listened to the thirty-eight lines of Friar Laurence’s explanation of what’s taken place, I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be able to come up with much more than “okay”. Apparently though, the Prince is a bit more versed than myself in how to respond to stuff, and still not really say anything. We still have known thee for a holy man. What the heck is that? He might just as well have said “okay”.


So you think I really owe you a picture because I didn't give you one yesterday? Okay.


 

No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...