Monday, February 21, 2022

 

These things, indeed, you have articulate,

Proclaim’d at market-crosses, read in churches,

To face the garment of rebellion

With some fine colour that may please the eye

Of fickle changelings and poor discontents,

Which gape and rub the elbow at the news

Of hurlyburly innovation.


-Henry

King Henry the Fourth Part I    Act V, Scene i, Line 75


The line I landed on this morning was With some fine colour that may please the eye, and I thought, ‘well that’s a nice line’. Then I decided to listen to the whole scene (and I’d like to once again put in my plug for listening to the scene whilst reading it whenever possible) and of course realized that this line was part of a much bigger thought. Henry is responding to Worcester who has just articulated the reasons for the rebellion. Those reasons are ‘these things’ that Henry is alluding to, and as you can see, fine colour that may please the eye is, in the context of Henry’s little speech, lipstick on a pig. Well, so much for the nice line.

There’s quite a bit to unpack in these seven lines, and a steamliner full of luggage to go through if we want to attack the whole scene, even though it’s only 141 lines. But I could spend the day on that, and there are other things I want to get to this morning. Perhaps one day I’ll be at the point where I can, and will, spend the hours needed on an excerpt like this; but I'm afraid it is not this day.

In the meantime, I think I’ll take the line a bit out of context and enjoy it for what I had initially seen in it. That's allowed, isn't it?


This is what Patrice was working on over the weekend. I like it a lot, and I think you can see why I thought of it when I read With some fine colour that may please the eye.


No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...