Sunday, February 27, 2022

 


But, Valentine being gone, I’ll quickly cross,

By some sly trick, blunt Thurio’s dull proceeding.

Love, lend me wings to make my purpose swift,

As thou has lent me wit to plot this drift!


-Proteus

The Two Gentelmen of Verona     Act II, Scene vi, Line 41

 

Today’s random line is the one with blunt Thurio in it. I added the line before it to make it an almost complete sentence. I added the two lines following it because they are the last lines of the scene and a rhyming couplet. And who doesn’t like a rhyming couplet.

As far as a bit of context: Proteus and Valentine are the titular gentlemen of Verona. Valentine’s got a new girl, Silvia, who Proteus just met. Thurio is another potential suitor of Silvia. Proteus decides that he wants Silvia and he spends this whole scene with a forty-three line soliloquy of why and how he’s going to get her.

Got it?


I didn't have a pic of Sylvia, so here is a pic of Lake Sylvia. It's pretty, isn't it?


No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...