Tuesday, March 1, 2022

 


Go, Biodello, bid your mistress come to me.

-Lucentio

The Taming of the Shrew              Act V, Scene ii, Line 77

 

Well, we have another interesting play here and one that could be one of the first to be singled out for book burning if we’re not careful. Do you want to hear about it? Well, I guess you’re going to whether you want it or not. Let’s see; where do we start?

I suppose the name tells a lot of the story. By the story, I mean the story of the play (a shrewish woman being tamed into a 'good' wife), and the story of why the book’s gonna get burned (because it's about a woman being tamed into a 'good' wife). So then, what’s to say? Well, let’s attack this burnability issue from a very general perspective, and that is this: 

WE NEED TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS STUFF, PEOPLE!!

There, simple as that.


Okay, just in case it wasn't clear what I was talking about: this is a pic of my associate graduating from high school last year and posing with the superintendent of schools here in Cheshire (who by the way is the paragon of superintendents in my opinion). Now, what are we teaching in our schools, and in our universities? A lot. What are we not teaching? Apparently, anything that we might offend someone by talking about it. And that, my friend, is the problem. I can understand respecting peoples' feelings, but we gotta be able to find some middle ground here. Just throwing some stuff out is not the answer. Okay? Good. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest. 


No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                          I have heard Your grace hath ta’en great pains to qualify His rigorous cours...