Saturday, April 1, 2023

 

Today’s Totally Random Line(s)

           

Every letter he hath writ hath disvouch’d other.

 

 -Escalus

Measure For Measure     Act IV, Scene iv, Line 1

 

It’s another short scene, this time with Angelo and Escalus (the two guys that Duke left in charge) being a bit confused about Duke’s instructions relating to his return. This is the first line of the scene. Escalus exits soon after, and Angelo has a short soliloquy regretting some of his actions whilst Duke was away, ending with, you guessed it, a rhyming couplet.

    Alack, when once our grace we have forgot,

    Nothing goes right,- we would, and we would not.

And yes, Angelo did a pretty good job of forgetting his grace.

That line makes me think of Claudius’s

    That we would do, we should do when we would.

But that second line seems to have a whole different meaning, even though it’s also got the we would thing going for it.

I know, different play; but I couldn’t help myself.

Here's a pic of the cutest little monkey ever!

I couldn't think of what pic would go with today's post, so I decided to go with the Totally Random theme. I reached into one of my boxes of pics, and this is what I pulled out. And I have to say, that this is a perfect example of the second we would line. I decided what I would do, and I just did it. That I would do, I did when I would. Which is obviously what I should have done. 
Did you get all that?





2 comments:

Squeaks said...

"Nothing goes right,- we would, and we would not."
Is this the Shakespeare version of "Damned if you do, damned if you don't"?

Squeaks said...

Also, cute monkey.

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...