Wednesday, August 2, 2023

 

Today’s Totally Random Lines

 

As good cause as one would desire: therefore weep.



Celia
As You Like It                Act III, Scene iv, Line
5


This is Celia’s response to Rosalind’s question, 

But have I not cause to weep? 

And why does she have cause to weep? It’s because Orlando appears to have stood her up. Simple as that.

Now I forget exactly how this thing goes, but I’m pretty sure it’s an accidental standup, and that by the time this play is over Orlando and Rosalind will be happily together. Remember: it’s a comedy, not a tragedy.

I guess, by and large, we would like our lives to be lived out as comedies. Or at least we would if we were narrowed down to the choice of comedy or tragedy. I suppose that for most of us our lives stories fall somewhere in between. I think though, that the comedic parts are for the most part more enjoyable. Yah, let’s go with that.

This certainly looks like one of those comedic moments from the past. 
Yes, comedic times are good. 



1 comment:

Squeaks said...

We should all be so lucky as to have as much comedy in our lives as you!

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...