Sunday, August 6, 2023

 

Today’s Totally Random Lines

 

Whereto my finger, like a dial’s point,


Richard

King Richard the Second       Act V, Scene v, Line 52


So you’re thinking, ‘Ah, great- a nice short line.’ No such luck.

We’ve come to one of my favourite soliloquies. ‘Oh oh,’ you’re saying to yourself, ‘here he goes.’ Well, you’re right.

Okay, we have Richard sitting in his prison cell, contemplating life. He’s been deposed by Bolingbroke. This speech is broken into five or six parts. Let me first give you the start of the speech. I’m sure you’ll like it.

I have been studying how I may compare

This prison where I live unto the world:

And, for because the world is populous,

And here is not a creature but myself,

I cannot do it; -- yet I’ll hammer it out.

And then he goes on to talk about peopling his world with all the thoughts he can create. And he talks about himself playing different parts, before interrupting himself to talk about the music that he’s hearing in the distance. He connects the thought of the time being kept, or miskept, by the music to time in general, and gets into the section of the speech on time, and that’s where today’s line falls. Here’s that full section of his speech on time.

I wasted time, and now doth time waste me;

For now hath time made me his numbering clock;

My thoughts are minutes; and with sighs they jar

Their watches to mine eyes, the outward watch,

Whereto my finger, like a dial’s point,

Is pointing still, in cleansing them from tears;

Now sir, the sound that tells what hour it is,

Are clamorous groans, which strike upon my heart,

Which is the bell: so sighs and tears and groans

Show minutes, times, and hours:-- but my time

Runs posting on in Bolingbroke’s proud joy,

While I stand fooling here, his Jack o’th’clock.


Then he gets back to the music which he now finds maddening, for he sees it as a sign of love in this all-hating world.

One definition: posting means speeding. 

And that’s your lesson for today in King Richard the Second.


Time; twenty-first century time. 
No dial's point.
No bell.
And yet, it runs posting, posting on. 



1 comment:

Squeaks said...

"Jack o’th’clock"?

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...