Wednesday, April 27, 2022


And since this business so fair is done,

Let us not leave till all our own be won.

 

-King Henry

King Henry the Fourth Part I         Act V Scene v, Line 44

 

Yesterday we were at the beginning of Richard II, and today we are at the end of the subsequent play, King Henry the Fourth Part I. I say subsequent because this is the historical chronology of events, but not necessarily the order in which Will wrote the plays. Though actually, I think these two might have been written in this order. No matter.

So, we have a rhyming couplet for today’s Totally Random lines (two lines that rhyme) which is very typical of how Will ends scenes and whole plays. He loved his rhyming couplets. I doubt that he invented the usage of them, but I don’t actually know. We’d have to ask Stephen or Marjorie or one of those folks, but they’re not readers of this blog, so never mind.

Now, since we don’t have a bunch of our own to be won, what say we consider our business so fair done, and leave. 

Good-bye.

No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                          I have heard Your grace hath ta’en great pains to qualify His rigorous cours...