Friday, April 29, 2022

 


You heavens, give me that patience, patience I need!

 -Lear

King Lear                       Act II Scene iV, Line 272


It seems to me that we’ve all used this line, or a version of it, at some time or another. I certainly know that I have. It also seems to me, now that I think of it, that much of the time this line is used it is in reference to the patience needed with other people, not with things. Or perhaps I’m not correct about that. In any event, with these lines Lear is looking for the patience he needs for dealing with people: specifically his two daughters.

I can’t possibly imagine having my own kids turn against me. I can remember, let alone imagine, needing patience to deal with them, but not because they were turning against me. I would certainly be looking, as Lear is, to the heavens for help if that happened.

Anyway, I still find myself looking for patience a lot, and a lot of the time it’s patience needed dealing with people. People can be tough to deal with, can't they?


Here is someone I hardly, if ever, needed patience with. Of course, she was not a people.


No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...