Monday, April 25, 2022

 


Your steward puts me off, my lord; and I am sent expressly to your lordship.

 

-Isidore’s Servant

Timon of Athens              Act II Scene ii, Line 35

 

And so it begins. Timon owes money to Isidore and he, Timon, is about to find out that he does not have the means to repay it. It goes downhill for Timon from here.

When Flavius, Timon’s head of household, starts explaining to Timon how broke he, Timon, actually is, Timon wonders idly whether or not Flavius is responsible. Flavius replies,

         If you suspect my husbandry or falsehood,

        Call me before the exactest auditors,

        And set me on proof.

Ahh, he’s threatening to call in the auditors! CohnReznick? Deloitte and Touche? Or how about Haskins and Sells!

Hey, I was just excited to find a reference in Will's works to auditors. 

No comments:

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...