Tuesday, November 7, 2023

 

Today’s Totally Random Line(s)

 

 

Nay, ‘twill be this hour ere I have done weeping; All the kind of Launces have this very fault.

 

Launce

Two Gentlemen Of Verona            Act II, Scene iii, Line 1

 

So this is the very first line of the scene. The setting is a street in Verona and the stage direction to start the scene is Enter Launce, leading his dog. That’s right - Launce has a dog. We don’t know if the dog is on a leash, or free roaming. We do, however, find out the dog’s name. It’s Crab. The dog is named Crab. And Launce spends the next thirty-five or so lines explaining how he and his entire family are sad that he has to leave to go to Milan with Proteus.

 Everyone is sad except Crab. Apparently, Crab couldn’t care less and Launce is finding that a bit upsetting. To be clear, Launce is described as a clownish servant to Proteus, so he’s basically in this play for the comedic value. And it’s a pretty silly soliloquy. It’s not that funny to read, but I can see how someone with comedic talent could make it funny on stage. I mean, how sad can you expect a dog to act?

I’ll have to listen to this scene sometime to see what I get out of it. Unfortunately, now is not that time. Unfortunately.


I don't have a picture of a Dog named Crab, but I do have a picture of a Cat named Bird. 

That will have to do. 



2 comments:

Squeaks said...

I assume when this is acted out on stage, there's not a real dog there? Because how on earth would they make a real dog act sad? Do they use a person?
I think a cat named Bird is a good stand in for a dog named Crab. What more could you really ask for?

Pete Blagys said...

Good question re the dog. I don't know the answer.

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...