Saturday, November 25, 2023

 

Today’s Totally Random Line(s)

 

        O my poor father!

The heaven set spies upon us, will not have

Our contract celebrated.

 

Perdita

The Winter’sTale        Act V,  Scene i,  Line 202

 

Oscar’s my friend, he’s sick, and I’m a cop.    -Murray the Cop Okay, I’m reading today’s lines out of the blue without any idea of what’s going on here. They seem to be as completely non sequitur as the famous lines from The Odd Couple that I quoted above. But wait; I guess Perdita is saying that the heavens are doing both things: setting spies and keeping the contract from being settled. So, okay, it makes sense. Will just loves to leave key parts of a sentence (like the subject) out, doesn’t he?
But check out these next lines that follow, Leontes You are married? Florizel We are not, sir, nor are we like to be; The stars, I see, will kiss the valleys first:- The odds for high and low’s alike.

I love the stars will kiss the valleys first. In other words, the stars will fall out of the sky, or hell will freeze over, before we ever get married. But that’s gorgeous: The stars will kiss the valley first. Beautiful.

See, these are the hidden gems we find doing a random line a day. The stars will kiss the valley before I ever would have found this line otherwise!

The most recent pic of the six sibs.
The stars will kiss the valleys ere we pass up the chance to get a pic when we are all together. We just don't all get together in one place all that often any more.  


1 comment:

Squeaks said...

I don't know who Florizel is with, but whoever it is, they are probably sitting there waiting for a proposal.

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...