Thursday, November 2, 2023

 

Today’s Totally Random Line(s)

  

There all is marr’d; there lies a cooling card.


Suffolk

Henry the Sixth Part I                   Act V, Scene III, Line 84

 


Oy! Marr’d I think is marred; mar – botch up.

But a cooling card? And where is there?

Okay, I think the there that he’s referring to is the fact that he has a wife. So I guess the cooling card means the thing that’s going to put a damper on what he’s thinking about (actually, I'm not guessing; I found one of my books with a footnote on cooling card). What’s he thinking about? He’s thinking that this Margaret lady he’s talking to is beyond mighty fine, and that he’d like to have his way with her. But the fact that he’s married is going to botch things up and put a damper on any plans he has about going after Margaret.

How’s that?


Ohh, that's not a cooling card, that's a business card. Who are you trying to fool?
I do like the cooling card phrase, though. I'd like to remember and use that one. But you know me; I'll forget. And my forgetfulness will be the cooling card on using the phrase the cooling card.
Oy. 







2 comments:

Squeaks said...

Despite now knowing the meaning of "cooling card" I still don't see why it would mean that.

Pete Blagys said...

And you know the derivation of all your idioms?
How about "it's raining cats and dogs". Do you know why that means what it does?

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                          I have heard Your grace hath ta’en great pains to qualify His rigorous cours...