Friday, November 3, 2023

 

Today’s Totally Random Line(s)

 

 

So cowards fight when they can fly no further;

So doves do peck the falcon’s piercing talons;

So desperate thieves, all hopeless of their lives,

Breathe out invectives against the officers.

 


Clifford

Henry the Sixth Part III                Act I, Scene iv, Line 43

 


Good lines, eh? Clifford is addressing York who has been captured. York is being defiant in defeat, and today’s lines are Clifford’s response to that. I can particularly picture that last image: someone having been caught doing something illegal and swearing at the people who have caught them. Though in afterthought, I’ve probably only seen that in tv or the movies. But that’s the same as real life, isn’t it?

As always, I tried to find a relevant picture for today's post. Well, I thought I might be able to find a picture of a hawk, which is kind of like a falcon. But then I decided I would settle for a picture of any bird, so I settled on this picture of a parrot on Patrice's shoulder. 
Wait a minute; what the heck, that's not a parrot.

 

 

2 comments:

Squeaks said...

I like these lines!

Pete Blagys said...

Ahhh! See, you like to read Shakespeare. Good for you.

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...