Sunday, February 4, 2024

 

Today’s Totally Random Lines

  

            Bring him to us.

 

King Henry

King Henry the Eighth            Act V, Scene i,  Line 83

 

Well that sounds a bit ominous. I’m pretty sure that I wouldn’t want to be the ‘him’ in this sentence, though in fact, I have no idea what’s going on here and no intention this morning of finding out. I hope that’s okay with you.

I like lines like this for their simplicity and understandability. Yes, Shakespeare can be difficult. But Shakespeare can be easy too, and that’s nice to know. By the way, aren’t you just a little curious who Henry wants to see and why?

The Famous History of the Life of King Henry the Eighth at Absolute Shakespeare

Here is a link to the text if you wish to read the scene and see if you can find out who Henry wants to see. In the meantime, here's an odd little tidbit for you. I have four different links on my blog to sites that have Will's full texts. The first three I looked at did not have this line. That's right, the four words Bring him to us were simply not there. The fourth one did, so that's the link I gave you above. Anyway, I decided to look at my trusty First Folio. Yup, it's got the line Bring him to us. So what's up with that?




















2 comments:

Squeaks said...

It seems the "him" is the Archbishop of Canterbury"? I wouldn't trust any reference sources that didn't have this line! I can't stand for ancient texts leaving things out!

Pete Blagys said...

Exactly!

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...