Friday, February 9, 2024

 

Today’s Totally Random Lines

 

 

Look you, if you take the matter others than is meant, Captain MacMorris, peradventure I shall think you do not use me with that affability as in discretion you ought to use me, look you; being as goot a man as yourself, both in the disciplines of war, and in the derivation of my birth, and in other particularities.

 

Fluellen

King Henry the Fifth            Act III, Scene ii, Line 128

 

 

Today we have more of the adventures of the Welshman Fluellen. I had to look up the word peradventure and it means perhaps or possibly. That’s per MW online. Also, the MW word of the day is MacGuffin, and per MW a MacGuffin is an object, event, or character in a film or story that serves to set and keep the plot in motion despite usually lacking intrinsic importance.

So, peradventure is Fluellen, and this conversation, a MacGuffin? More importantly, doe a writer of Will’s caliber use MacGuffins? 

Both great questions, eh? Unfortunately, I’m not going to give you any great answers. I’ll leave it up to you. But at least we’ve added the word peradventure to our vocabulary. 

Good luck!

 

1 comment:

Squeaks said...

I'm very interested to hear the definition of a MacGuffin!

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...