Thursday, February 8, 2024

 

Today’s Totally Random Lines

  

I am sorry to give breathing to my purpose,--

 

Marc Antony

Antony and Cleopatra           Act I, Scene iii, Line 14


I’m not sure, but I think Antony is about to tell Cleopatra that he’s got to head back to Rome. Cleopatra’s been talking about him, and he just entered the scene. The script reads Enter Antony and then he speaks Today’s Line. After that Cleopatra keeps interrupting him. It’s not until the next page that Antony gets around to telling her about going back to Rome, but I think that’s what he’s referring to when he starts with Today’s Totally Random Line.

So when he says give breathing to my purpose is he talking about being sorry that he has to tell her what he’s gonna do, or sorry about what he has to do? Maybe both. It’s an interesting line.

I am sorry to give breathing to my purpose. I think he’s talking about being sorry about what he has to tell her. Yeah, I’m going with that.


Mojo doesn't care if Antony's sorry about what he has to tell or sorry about what he has to do. Mojo's just sorry (more like pissed off) that someone put all his toys up on the chair where he can't reach them. 


1 comment:

Squeaks said...

Purpose speaks more to an action (like going somewhere) rather than a thought (like being sorry). I guess being sorry is an action, but it feels like a softer action.

Hm. Did I make any sense?? Maybe I shouldn't have given any breath to that thought.

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...