Saturday, February 3, 2024

 

Today’s Totally Random Lines

  

Indeed, my lord, you made me believe so.

 

Ophelia

Hamlet                     Act III, Scene i,  Line 116

  

This is an exchange between Ophelia and Hamlet. The latter has just said to Ophelia, I did love you once. Of course, in the next line Hamlet’s going to say, I loved you not. It’s mad Hamlet here. Or is he mad? This is at the core of the enigma that is Hamlet; Hamlet the person and Hamlet the play.

It seems unlikely that we’ll be unraveling this puzzle today. It seems just as unlikely that we’re going to spend much time trying.

I think for today that we'll just move on.



Fall Risk? Me? Well, this should give you some clue as to why there's been no posts in almost two weeks. And whilst there's more to the story than that, I think we'll leave it at that for now. 

We'll just move on.


2 comments:

Squeaks said...

I'm confused. Hamlet said he loved her once. Ophelia said, that's what you made me think. And then Hamlet said, I didn't love you, bish. Which one is it?

Pete Blagys said...

That's the thing, Hamlet appears to be confused, or mad, or both, or neither. An integral part of the play is trying to figure out Hamlet. So if you're confused, well join 400 years of confused Hamlet viewers.

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...