Saturday, February 24, 2024

 

Today’s Totally Random Lines

 

Oh how her eyes and tears did lend and borrow!

Her eye seen in the tears, tears in the eyes;

Both crystals, where they view’d each other’s sorrow,--

Sorrow that friendly sighs sought still to dry;

But like a stormy day, now wind, now rain,

Sighs dry her cheeks, tears make them wet again.

 

Narrator

Venus and Adonis                          Line 966

 

It’s funny that I ended my last post with Your eyes my rest easy, and now today’s starts with her eyes and tears. And yesterday we had balls bounding and today just eyeballs.

Anyway, today’s lines are simply a description of one crying. It is a rather original way to describe someone crying, and of course the language is superb: it is Will, after all. I suppose, though, that someone else could have come up with this idea: teardrops and eyeballs as similar crystals; wind and rain vs sighs and tears. 

I’ve never seen this way of talking about crying before, but what does that count for? There's an awful, awful lot that I've never seen.


If the eye was seen in the tears, he must be talking about a reflection of the eye seen in the teardrop. Did he have a microscope? And then, is tears in her eyes also talking about a reflection, or are we now just talking about seeing the teardrops in her eyes, as we would normally think of seeing tears in one's eyes. 
Well now, that's a dry eye above, and I can see a reflection of the light in it; but would I be able to see the reflection of a teardrop in it. 

I think I might be over thinking this. Just read the lines and enjoy the language, Pete.

1 comment:

Squeaks said...

I honestly didn't even understand he was talking about crying the whole time.

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...