Tuesday, May 16, 2023

 

Today’s Totally Random Line(s)

 

The service and the loyalty I owe,

In doing it, pays itself. Your Highness’ part

Is to receive our duties; and our duties

Are to your throne and state children and servants;

Which do but what they should by doing everything

Safe toward your love and honour.

 

Macbeth

Macbeth                        Act I, Scene iv, Line 24

 

And oh, by the way, I’ll be stabbing you to death whilst you sleep tonight. Yah.

So this is Macbeth talking to King Duncan about how loyal he is to the guy. I mean, given that we know that Macbeth has already decided to murder the king, what an absolutely schmuck thing to say to him. And along this line, here’s Macbeth’s aside, a little further down, right after King Duncan talks about his own eldest son, Malcom, becoming the Prince of Cumberland and next in line to the throne.

 

        The Prince of Cumberland! That is a step

        On which I must fall down, or else o’erleap,

        For in my way it lies. Stars, hide your fires,

        Let not light see my black and deep desires;

        The eye wink at the hand; yet let that be

        Which the eye fears, when it is done, to see.

 

Again, yah.


Nuthin. I got nuthin else for you today. However, and as unrelated from today's line as is possible, 

Happy Birthday John!

2 comments:

Squeaks said...

I'm sure he just wanted to make sure the king's guard was down (figuratively and literally).

Pete Blagys said...

That is a very cogent observation.

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...