Saturday, May 20, 2023

 

Today’s Totally Random Line(s)

 

Why, fear not, man; I will not forfeit it:

Within these two months, that’s a month before

This bond expires, I do expect return

Of thrice three times the value of this bond.

 

Antonio

The Merchant of Venice                Act I, Scene iii, Line 155

  

Talk about famous last words. And what have I said about expectations? Life is all about expectations, isn’t it? Of course, if Antonio was a bit more cautious and not so eager to rely on his expectations, then perhaps he wouldn’t have taken the deal, and then I guess we wouldn’t have much of a story, would we?

In any event, lots of expectations here. Antonio expects his ships to be back in time to pay the loan (good luck with that), Bassanio expects that three thousand ducats will be enough for him to win over Portio (turns out he’s right about that), and Shylock expects… well, I’m not sure what he expects. In fact, I think he might be the smartest one here, because he’s not relying on expectations. If Antonio forfeits the loan, Shylock gets a pound of flesh, and it appears that he really dislikes Antonio so that this pound of flesh will be a good thing for Shylock. If Antonio doesn’t forfeit, then Shylock gets his money back, and being the shrewd businessman that he is, that would also be a good thing. No, it appears that Shylock is not relying on any expectations. I guess he’s the smartest one of them all, eh? Well, until Act IV, Scene i he is, but not so much then.


And speaking of expectations - I expect it's about time (actually, well past about time) to get back to working on Merchant. I can't be letting drawings like this go to waste, can I?
I expect not. 


2 comments:

Squeaks said...

That's a GREAT drawing!!

Pete Blagys said...

I know. We're working on Merchant, albeit at a snails pace.

  Today’s Totally Random Lines                  How, my lord! What cheer? How is’t with you, best brother? Polixenes The Winter’s ...